If you’ve never signed up for an official race before, we are so excited that you chose Spirit of Survival as your first race!
Knowing how to start race training can be challenging for anyone. When it comes to training, the old saying “Slow and steady wins the race” really does apply! Be sure to take a look at our race training guides to help ensure your first run with us is a great success! You can find our guide by visiting the training page at SpiritOfSurvival.com/Training.
Here are some basic tips and nutrition that will help provide your body the strength it needs to take on this new challenge.
Start training now!
The mistake many first-time runners make is simply underestimating how much time is required to train. After all, a 5K really isn’t that far, right? Well, without taking the time to properly train, you may find yourself huffing and puffing only one mile into the race.
Good Training Habits to Establish
- Accountability works! Run with a family member, friend, or join one of the local running groups! We have a Facebook page for you to connect with other runners at Facebook.com/groups/336491720599577/.
- Be patient with yourself! Even if it seems easy at first, training guides are meant to build up your stamina. Stick to it!
- Don’t skip your warm-up or cooldown! They are important to keep your body from injury. Plan on spending about five minutes walking for both your warm-up and cooldown.
- Spread out your days off to maintain the ability you have built up to. If you take all of your days off together, it is always going to be harder to keep going.
- Eat something light and familiar before training. Foods that are high in carbs but low in fiber and fats will increase your energy without upsetting your stomach.
- Wait about 30 minutes after eating to give your body time to digest before you head out and get to work.
- Stay hydrated not only before your workout but throughout the day. Aim for half your weight in ounces of water each day.
- Even if weight loss isn’t your current goal, limit high-sugar, high-fat foods. Stock your fridge with veggies, fruits, and whole grains. Those foods will keep you feeling good when you’re working out. As an added bonus, your heart health improves, your cholesterol stays low, and your blood sugar stabilizes when eating healthy.
After you complete the training, be ready to rock your first race! You have already made a great achievement for your health and fitness. We should warn you, running is addictive! After you complete your first Spirit of Survival event, we look forward to you coming back year after year!
Starting training a little late? That’s ok! You may wish to modify the schedule and train more vigorously to keep up, but don’t overdo it. Even if you are unable to reach optimum training, that’s ok! You’re still welcome to walk or run, and we will cheer you on too. We think all our participants are winners!
The Spirit of Survival website does not provide specific fitness advice for individual cases. Spirit of Survival does not endorse any services or products obtained through information provided on this site, articles on the site or any links on this site.
Use of the information obtained by the Spirit of Survival website does not replace medical advice given by a qualified medical provider to meet the medical needs of our readers or others.
While our content is current when published, information changes quickly. Information may be out of date, and/or contain inaccuracies or typographical errors. For questions or concerns, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.